Sunday, July 19, 2015

A Letter to My Younger Self Before I Was an Addict

strength quote

I was told that writing a letter my younger self  can be a therapeutic way to put things into perspective and move on. Anyone with a tough childhood could probably benefit from this and having dealt with addiction and being a child of an addict I thought this was perfect for me. However, I changed things up a little bit and decided to write a letter to myself before I became an addict.

I know life's hard and people suck sometimes but learn to forgive and remember no one's perfect. No, seriously you really need to remember that your future relationships will be way more enjoyable if you do. Try not to be so angry, mom really is trying. Forgive her for leaving dad some people aren't meant to be together forever. Dad will get over it, it isn't your job to take care of him.  
Mom attempted suicide isn't your fault, don't let anyone tell you differently. Your first love will stay in your heart for a long time. Your time together will always be magical like you guys connect on a different level but trust me you guys aren't compatible long term, your goals are just too different. Don't sell yourself short, you don't need to do anything you don't want to just to impress someone. Trust me you'll have guys lining up either way. Learn to say no you'll be way happier once you do. Keep in touch with your friends. Don't give up your social life just because you're in a relationship. You'll regret it. Spend more time with your family, you'll miss them once they're gone. 
People care and notice you a lot more than you think. You're a beautiful fun person, be more confident. Finally, don't take any moment for granted. You know all those struggles and difficult situations, well you'll actually miss them in 10 years. Not the hard parts of course but all the good times happening right in the middle of it.You're only young once and these are some of the best times of your life. Enjoy it and savor every moment of it.

just be yourself quoteWriting this letter was way more difficult than I thought it would be. Although advice from my older self might have made my life easier I wouldn't be the person I am today without my mistakes and struggles. I believe that if I had avoided the tough situation in my life I wouldn't be where I am. Among many other amazing things, my life has given me my beautiful son, a love for psychology and human behavior, a need to help and create an understanding of addiction and mental illness which led me to create this blog. My passion for writing has grown because of my need to share my struggles with others, hoping my experiences can help them in some way.

What would you tell yourself if you could?
I'm dying to know what others have to say.
Let me know in the comments below.

Here's the post of my mom suicide attempt The Shock of Suicide

Yours truly,
Chelsie

4 comments:

  1. Well one things for sure my love and that is you are defiantly one of a kind and I wouldn't have you any other way. I guess I should be glad you went through all those thing throughout your life cuz like you said, they made you the person you are today and that person is my favorite person in the entire world!! You're my best friend, you're my love and most of all babu.... you're "all mine"!! Lol ;) much love, D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Im proud of who I am today even though there are still some things I would like to change about myself. I know it will take time. take care xo

      Delete
  2. I really like this post, I think it's a really fresh way to look back, as it also shows present-day-you the progress you have made (through identification in the very least) even if you still haven't got to where you want to go. Thanks! I might try a similar tack on my blog - of you ever fancy a look it's speaking-easy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It really did help heal some part of me writing this. Ill definitely check out your blog. Let me know if you post a letter to your younger self Id love to read it.

      Delete

Please leave a comment and let me know you dropped by.
If you have a blog, you can share your blog link,
but spammy comments will be removed. Thanks