Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Gracie's Secret: The Perfect Book For Children of Addicts

I absolutely love this book I just read and thought I'd share it with all of you.


Gracie's Secret is written by Lorelie Rozzano, a woman in recovery who grew up in an alcoholic home. This children book is intended for kids growing up in addicted families who need help understanding and talking about their feelings. Although I believe this would be a useful book for any kid and not just children in troubled families because all children need to learn how to manage and talk about their negative feelings. It's definitely something I'll read to my little one once he's old enough.

I really love the idea behind this book. I think it's great to have a tool like this to help kids understand and open up about their feelings. The book is written in such a way that any kid having a difficult time with their feelings or living in a troubled home would be able to relate to this story. The author explains feelings in a way that can be easily understood by young children and the beautiful illustrations are so well done it enhances the comprehension of the story line.It even has simple questions at the end of the book to help get kids thinking about the people they can talk to and how Gracie story relates to them.

It's also a great read for adults who lived in a troubled home or has dealt with addiction themselves because most of us can relate in some way to this little sad girl. Also a great book for any parent who has been addicted or has dealt with a bumpy family life because this book offers them the child perspective in this situation and might help the parent understand what their child is going through a bit better. Fostering understanding and compassion for their child who might find themselves in a similar situation.

This is the author Lorelie’s blog if you want to know more about her, and the book can be purchased here. If you buy the book please leave a comment and let me know your thoughts on it. Thanks a bunch everyone  =) Take Care

Charmed

6 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsie. Thank you for taking the time to review this book! Had I learned Gracie's Secret as a young girl, perhaps my path would have been different. When we grow up in addiction what we don't get is self-esteem,self-respect or our emotional needs met. As a young woman without those, we go looking for them in people, places and things! A dangerous combination! You said you love this book, and I say... I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do put a lot of my time and heart into this blog. And it was my pleasure to review this book because I honestly really loved it. I totally agree if I had a book like this when I was younger especially at school I think things would of been easier for me. Not talking about what was bothering me had me just so angry all the time. I hope schools start carrying this book because its simply amazing. :)

      Delete
  2. Hey girl, great post!! This book sounds great and should be in every school! I wish it was when I was a child! It took me forever to figure out what the hell i was feeling, it was so confusing my feelings, especially seeing other children who had good lives and here i was a poverty stricken child who had been abused countless times because of my addicted/alcoholic parents and their party friends.It still is hard trying to learn how to live life the way it was meant to be lived if we hadn't experienced such horrors! Thanks for sharing this book, it is great and will spread the word to other ppl about it! Take care girl xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya its a pretty awesome book. Im hoping to get a copy of it for my little one and to show other parents who might be interested in buying a copy.

      Delete
    2. Chelsie pm me your address and I'd be glad to send you one!

      Delete
    3. That's very nice of u. I really wanted a hard copy. I was hoping to buy one soon but being a student and the expecting a baby money is pretty tight right now.

      Delete

Please leave a comment and let me know you dropped by.
If you have a blog, you can share your blog link,
but spammy comments will be removed. Thanks