Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Why Doesn't He Want to Have Sex With Me? Methadone & Low Testosterone


This might be an embarrassing topic to talk about since low testosterone causes a low sex drive (among other things like fatigue and lack of motivation), but I believe its important for us to talk about because its a real problem facing many men and couples on methadone. Sadly too many people stay quiet about this issue because of the stigma attached to it. Like a low sex drive not being manly or it taking away from their manhood, and for women they might feel inadequate or like its their fault somehow that their partner doesn't want to have sex with them. I should know, I've been dealing with this myself.

I'm hoping by writing about my struggles here it will let people know their not alone and theirs no shame in getting tested for LowT if they feel like they are having the same issues. Well my hubby never wants to have sex with me and its really been hurting my feelings. Although I've been reassured this isn't the case it makes me feel like I'm not attractive to him or that he doesn't want me because he doesn't love me. I've known methadone to lower people sex drive and I believe him when he says he's just tired and not in the mood but that doesn't remove the pain of rejection completely and it doesn't fix the problem. On the rare times we do have sex I feel like I have to bug him for it which is so not a turn on for me and it's all really affecting our sex life and with that our relationship. Intimacy is important for me to feel connected to him.

I knew from past experience that methadone, especially a high dose of methadone, can cause a low sex drive but I never thought anything could be done about it besides him getting off methadone and risking his sobriety. But thanks to a recent study done on low testosterone and methadone we have realized that his none existent sex drive and constant fatigue might be due to low testosterone which is usually treatable. We are happy that finally something can be done about it that doesn't involve him risking his sobriety by getting off methadone but he still needs to ask his doctor on his next appointment about getting tested for it. We wont know for sure if something can be done about it until then but I'm hopeful we have discovered what the problem is and that it can be treated.

Are you having similar issues? Have you ever had similar issues? Please let me know in the comments below and give courage to those who need it. If we talk about it we can give people the courage to get tested and treated which can improve many aspects of their lives. Cheers to being happy and healthy :)

The link to the Study:

Thank you so much for stopping by. Lets stay in touch :)
Subscribe For Email Notification On My Future Posts

PS. Check out the Crystal Healing Trees I make myself. They are super pretty and I find they can be very soothing and healing.

Charmed

4 comments:

  1. Methadone & low testosterone in men is absolutely treatable. Encourage the hubby to have his levels tested, and an endocrinologist can help determine the proper steps and treatments available that are best suited for him. I know many men on Methadone who take testosterone injections, and find it quite helpful.

    Hopefully the hubby can get his levels evened out so you two can get back between the sheets! ;-) and in the meantime, theres always toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He plans on asking to get tested for it at his appointment with his methadone doctor is next week. Not sure how long everything will take but Ive waited this long lol we have no problem once we get started its just getting him to want to get started lol just hoping it doesn't take too long :)

      Delete
    2. sorry for late reply my laptop was messing up! Thanks for sharing on this topic, it is a very common problem with those on MMT. As with other side effects, they become more noticeable on levels above 60-80.when stixx was on 225mg he had nothing but problems with this, he felt almost numb and high doses can also inhibit ejaculation in some men. It is hard on us women as well as the men, we feel unattractive and rejected, even though we know what the problem is! Us pisces rely on intimacy and love to feel secure and loved. we identify love with it! He will get the help he needs in no time and on the bright side at least he isn't having problems ejaculating, just getting the drive. More men need to speak about this even though it is hard on them as it affects their ego and they feel less of a man. It will all work out once he sees his doc! Thanks again for sharing this topic with us! Take care girl! And as Kelly says "there's always toys" in the mean time lol! but I do understand your need for intimacy, I rely on it too for feeling loved!

      Delete
    3. I'm really getting impatient waiting for the results. He has his next appointment on the 29th so we will know more then. I'll keep you updated :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment and let me know you dropped by.
If you have a blog, you can share your blog link,
but spammy comments will be removed. Thanks