Sunday, October 05, 2014

How to Hang On to Recovery


Someone asked me recently how they could hold on to their recovery and stay clean when they feel like giving up and I honestly didn't know how to fully answer them because the answer really depends on each person. What worked for me might not work for them. We are all unique and amazingly complex individuals with different needs, hopes and dreams.

After thinking about it for a couple minutes I finally replied well what do you want more then drugs ? What are your goals and dreams. They couldn't think of an answer right away so I asked him to think back to what made him happy, what pass times he used to love before drugs were part of his life. Keep looking until you find something that motivates you. Something your truly passionate about.

That's what was key for me. My love for reading, writing and drawing are what got me through. Going back to school gave me a goal to work towards and made me feel productive, but I use to love school and learning so that's why it worked for me. I also started taking notice and joy in the little things like spending time with my younger brother, building a snowman, watching the stars, decorating my room, oh and nature, camping, campfire etc.

I believe in recovery we all need to take the time and figure out what makes us tick. We need to rediscover our passions, our dreams and most of all ourselves. Their is so much wonderful things to discover out there, we just need a clear and sober mind to start witnessing it all. So many fun hobbies and pass times that can get us through another day sober. Trust me, before giving up on recovery take the time to discover what motivates you, it will make all the difference when it comes to hanging on to recovery.

Best of luck on your search to new and wonderful things. Recovery Rocks.

Thank you so much for stopping by. Lets stay in touch :)
Subscribe For Email Notification On My Future Posts
Charmed 



If you have any advice on how to not give up on recovery please share in the comments. You never know how many people it might help. Thank you

Charmed

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl great post! You are right about finding what it is that you thoroughly enjoy and what will keep u occupied! Boredom can cause a person to throw in the towel on recovery and go back to occuppying their time the wrong way! Journalling is a great tool and one I use quite frequently! It also allows you to see a pattern of when u may be more suseptible to using! Everyone in recovery should really journal and like you,I love sketching,it helps to calm my mind! You and I both have lots in common,as we have said before!! Finding your purpose is of great importance in keeping yourself in recovery!! Thanks again for great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats so true, finding something that gives us purpose is so important and journalling can really help. I've journaled before and it really did help but I could never keep up with it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you dropped by.
If you have a blog, you can share your blog link,
but spammy comments will be removed. Thanks